Offering Flexible Leases for Student Housing
We are rewarding landlords that go above and beyond during these uncertain times. As students search for off-campus housing, they are looking for flexible lease terms and payment options – and properties that meet that criteria are going to stand apart from the rest.
Mac Off-Campus is bringing back our “Student First” initiative starting Tuesday, June 22, 2021. Landlords that commit to providing terms that ease the financial strain on students will be listed in both a special Student First area and the Available Properties sections of our website plus we will extend the ad for an additional 60 days free!
For Students - What does "Student First Rental" mean?
- Landlord has committed to offering flexible housing solutions to students in the McMaster community.
- Solutions may include month-to-month leases, flex pricing, easy-exit clauses and more.
- Landlord listings qualifying for the program will receive “Student First Rental” badge on their featured photo and their ad extended for an additional 60 days.
Note: all tenancy agreements are private contracts determined between the landlords and tenants. It is the responsibility of both parties to ensure the terms of contract are agreeable to both sides before signing.
For Landlords - "How do I apply to be a Student First Rental?"
Landlords that commit to providing terms that ease the financial strain on students will be listed in a special Student First area and the Available Properties sections of our website and we will extend the ad for an additional 60 days free.
To qualify, you must commit to the following:
- Providing 2-3 days between tenant move-out/move-in and ensure the house/room and common areas are throughly disinfected between tenants
- Providing flexibility in lease terms including at least one of the following:
- Short-term leases (i.e. month-to-month, 4-month terms)
- 8-month leases (September 2020 to April 2021)
- Providing flexibility in lease payment options including at least one of the following:
- Individualized flexible payment dates and terms witch allow rent ‘catch-up’ periods
- A minimum 15% reduction in rental payments for months student is not living in the space
- A minimum of 30% reduction in rental payments for the balance of months remaining on the lease if the student needs to terminate early and is no longer living in the space
By using this Site, you acknowledge and agree that McMaster University has not investigated any listing herein and neither directly nor indirectly endorses or approves of any listing or content provided, or to be provided, by anyone whether directly or indirectly related to the use of this Site. You agree that you will not state or imply that use of this Site is any endorsement by McMaster University or its employees. These terms relate to all listings on this Site, including without limitation, those listings pursuant to the Students First Program.